I had some problems with my blog recently and my readers have all conveyed the problems faced by them one way or the other to me either through comments or through email separately.
I just wish to share what happened with all my readers so that if any of them has a similar problem, s/he can follow what I did.
We were first on Hostgator – and the Database (and site) went down (was taken down by them) as it could not handle the amount of traffic coming in.
To quote them:
“This message is to advise you of a temporary block placed on your database. The database associated with the script in “/home/rummuser/public_html” was found to be consuming an inordinate amount of processor time, to the point of degrading overall system performance. While we do limit each account to no more than 25% of a system’s CPU in our terms of service, we do not actively disable accounts until they greatly exceed that number, which is what happened in this case.
Resolving this situation may be as simple as adding additional indexes to your database, optimizing the queries used, or something equally easy. If not, it may simply be a matter of moving this database to dedicated services, as it may have outgrown a shared environment.
If you believe you have a solution to this overuse, we are happy to discuss the situation with you and possibly reinstate the database on the server. Otherwise, we will be happy to assist you with the upgrade process if a dedicated server is the most appropriate solution. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.
Full details in the attached text file.”
Also along the way Ranjan disabled and deleted JetPack as one of the potential problem areas.
So we consulted with our tech support and they said Hostgator is not good for high traffic sites. So I moved the site to a VPS hosting company – DigitalOcean and set up a VPS hosting package @ 60$ per year.
After this first the site was not visible because there was a conflict between the global propagation of the A name. Then I tried putting in NS entries (the DO VPS does not need NS entries, merely an A record)
Finally, knocked off the NS entries and only kept the A record.
We kept having issues with the worldwide propagation. Our tech support people in Pune could see the site, while we could not at home. Then Ranjan could see the site on his mobile while I could not in my mobile phone or my computer. I concluded that our Broadband provider has delayed Cache Flushing.
Everything eventually got resolved and now the blog seems to be functioning quite well.
The problem in a nutshell was that my old host could not handle the traffic that my blog was generating. We found a simple solution thanks to our tech-support here who are Ranjan’s partners. And I have come away from the whole exercise with a great sense of gratitude for my readers who essentially created so much traffic that I had to undergo this trauma.
I hope that this will be of some use to my readers.